I had an Energising walk to work, which was wonderfully refreshing and inspiring. The snow reminds me of my early childhood in Aberdeenshire and I love it, even if it does cause chaos in the UK!
For those that are in the snow, here are our Top Tips & Thoughts for training in the snow:
1. Get outside and make the most of it! Re energise your inner child and have FUN. Whilst having fun you will also get fitter, burning around 300 calories having a snowball fight, building an Energised snowman or making snow angels. Fun and Fitness Gains, go for it…
2. Build an Energised Snowman, and you could win a free session or a mini treat from our EP Shop! Just submit a photo of your Energised Snowman wearing a Team Energised piece of clothing or holding a Team Energised sign (must have this to enter) and we will randomly choose a winner. You can enter anywhere in the world as we can give you a Skype Session, and if you have no snow, build a Sandman or create a creature!! Can you beat the 2009 Winner, Oliver Morris…. !
3. Make sure you get the right trainers if you are going to train outside, good off road shoes with a grip are perfect. I use Mizuno Wave Harriers and love them, my Timberland boots are great for walking about in too! Sweatshop Online and Heather & Jan in Bristol will look after you well.
4. Wrap up in breathable layers, gloves, hat and a Buff to keep your body warm, and allow you to train well, plus ladies remember that sports bra! For great kit, and sale prices check out Sweatshop Online, Sweaty Betty & Shock absorber. Any questions let me know if you are unsure.
5. Do a home training session, mini circuits are easy, using your body weight as kit – check out this mini routine here: http://youtu.be/cIVNSGkGPNs
6. Plan and refine your training goals, enter races and make a clear structure to make things really happen. If you would like us to help you, just be in touch! Here are some ideas from our Running Bug Blog: http://therunningbug.co.uk/rbblogs/energised-running-thoughts/b/weblog/archive/2013/01/09/my-top-13-tips-for-your-best-year-running.aspx
7. Stay hydrated and eat plenty of quality nutrients, avoiding too many refined carbs and sugars which you may be tempted to munch if you are cold… our cook book is really popular for ideas: http://www.energisedperformance.com/product.php/995/565/_leaner__lighter__fitter_you_in_30_days_
Let us know how you get on with your winter training! And do share your photos with us, we love to hear how you are getting on.
If you are looking for things to do this weekend in Bristol head to the Colston Hall for Sweat for Sue Weekend, in aid of the wonderful Sue Ryder Charity, where Energised will be offering sports massage.
Happy Winter Training Team 🙂 Kim and the EP Coaches x