Here are some Quick Marathon Mindset Tips…. although they work for any distance and sport…. give it a go and let me know how you get on. I shared some of them at the Manchester Marathon Evening on stage (Photo), such an amazing line up of speakers and athletes…
- Write a plan down, how to have your best race, 3 positive feelings to breathe in, who inspires you and why it matters to you.
- Don’t worry if you don’t sleep well or can’t eat breakfast with nerves… it often happens, focus on resting, keeping calm and hydrated.
- Pace yourself at the beginning, keeping focused on your race, good technique and relax your shoulders, breathe.
- Hydrate and fuel little and often through the race with products you’re used to.
- Listen to your body and adapt your pace and form to how you feel.
- If you find a ‘wall’ or doubt if you can do it.. pause, breathe, think about your why, people who inspire you, walk run and you can will get over the wall to the finish line.
- Celebrate and be proud of yourself when you finish, whatever the outcome, you will have done the best you can on the day, big high five
- Recovery is key – good proteins, energy, hydration, stretch, ice bath ( compression, sleep – I use Optimum Nutrition Plant protein and Train and Sustain.
- Reflect, write down what went well and what you would do differently in the next race/in training, and have enough recovery to fully allow your mind and body to repair – catch up with friends, family, book sports massage, do differently for a week at least.
Any questions do ask… and let me know how you go with your race – it’s great to share and celebrate! Special good luck if you are racing London, Boston or Rhodes this Spring, be awesome and believe in you.
Big big support Kim.
For Marathon Training plans and mindset sessions (in person or skype) pop me an email email@example.com.
To try Optimum Nutrition’s Proteins, click here and put code optimumnutritionkim for 20% discount.
For 26.2 Quick tips for Marathon running click here.